रविवार, जुलाई 05, 2009

BHUTMATI

In a village named Kanthpur there lived a Brahmin named Bhutmati who was educated at Benaras. He was not married till late in life as he had no proper means of maintenance. He was running a ‘Pathshala’ (religious school) to earn his livelihood.
Some of his followers gave him money for marriage and he married a beautiful Brahmin maiden named Yagnadatta. With the passage of time he became very much attached to her with love and found himself very happy in her company.
Many students from abroad came to his Pathshala for studies. One student named Devdatt was poor and so he was allowed to live with Bhutmati at his place with food provisions. Devdatt made good progress in his studies as he was very clever. Bhutmati also was very fond of him. Devdatt became very friendly with Yagnadatta.
Yagnadatta was young and she found no satisfaction with her husband, Bhutmati. She was attracted to Devdatt. In the meanwhile Bhutmati received an invitation to officiate a ceremony at Mutra city. He was likely to earn some money and fame there, so he decided to attend the event.
While leaving the place he said to his wife: “I cannot bear your separation even for a moment but as we are running short of money I must go. I will return after four months and in the meanwhile you live cautiously and be on your guard.”
Hearing these words, Yagnadatta said: “I cannot live without you even for a day, so postpone your journey for the present.” Bhutmati said: “I equally cannot bear your separation, but grant me leave with pleasure and I will return as soon as I finish my job.” Yagnadatta granted him leave with pleasure and Bhutmati instructed Devdatt to take care of the house and his wife.
Yagnadatta was now alone and she requested Devdatt to enjoy with her sensual pleasures; the only reward of youth. Devdatt was reluctant but later on he stooped to her carnal cravings. Devdatt became proof to all moral consciousness in course of time. Four months had almost passed and Devdatt said: “Now your husband will arrive and drive me out.”
Yagnadatta said: “Don’t worry, I will plan something so that we can live together for ever.” One night Yagnadatta brought from the funeral ground two corpses (male and female) and having placed them on the coach and on the verandah respectively, left the house after setting it on fire.
The fire spread quickly and the crowd tried to extinguish the fire but it took a few hours. They found two corpses totally burnt beyond identification; which were presumed to be the dead bodies of Yagnadatta and Devdatt. The news reached Bhutmati who was simply stunned with regret. He promptly returned to his town to find everything reduced to ashes. He fainted and on regaining consciousness piteously lamented for his beloved wife Yagnadatta and wept for Devdatt too with words of affection.
A Brahmin friend who knew of the illicit communion of Yagnadatta and Devdatt said, “The wise don’t lament after the happenings. Most women are very cunning and so it does not befit you to rely on a woman so much.”
His words were true but a man under delusion could not find them palatable. Bhutmati on the contrary said to his Brahmin friend: “How dare you preach to me ? I am quite clever to judge the character of my wife Yagnadatta. I can’t erase her grace and virtues from my mental screen. Oh, Yagnadatta, when shall I see you ? Oh ! Devdatt, you too have left me.”
That Brahmin friend said: “Even the sense of highly learned men get stagnant under intense delusion as you don’t hear relish my words which are beneficial for you. Whatever her character, you shall not see her now, therefore, cast aside your attachment for her and pray to God for making the best of your life you have left”.
All his well-wishers left after expressing their felt condolences. Bhutmati having packed the ashes of the (presumed) dead bodies of his wife and friend left Kanthpur early the next morning to offer them to the waters of the sacred river Ganga.
Now watch the mysterious designs of fate. No sooner did Bhutmati enter a town near Ganga, he accidentally ran into Yagnadatta and Devdatt, who happened to be living there. They were extremely shocked to see Bhutmati face to face, but there was no alternative for them but to fall at Bhutmati’s feet. They said, “Oh Learned Scholar, pardon us. We repent much for our faults, we were just thinking of coming to you.”
Bhutmati said: “Who are you ? What are you talking about ?” Devdatt said: “Don’t you recognize us ? This is your beloved wife Yagnadatta and I am your favorite student Devdatt. We are talking with the learned scholar Bhutmati who imparted learning to the students of Kanthpur.”
But Bhutmati was not convinced. He said, “Oh, you scoundrels ! Don’t try to cheat me. I am the last man to be taken in by you. My beloved wife and my disciple have been already consumed in a fire that broke out suddenly in my house. I am going to offer the holy ashes to the sacred Ganga. You do appear like Yagnadatta and Devdatt but you are not them. You may be their spirits. Spirits often deceive human beings but bear in mind I am a Brahmin—Bhoo-Dev (earthly god). I can burn you down with my power of incantations. I spare you out of mercy. Leave from my sight or else terrible consequences shall follow.”
Yagnadatta and Devdatt got what they wanted. They immediately left. Bhutmati offered the ashes in Ganga. He said: “Oh, God, Oh Lord, Grant peace and bliss to the souls of the dead. They were so pure and deserved your mercy.”

MORAL LESSON: We can realize to what extent a man under delusion loses his wisdom and sense of truth. Most of time our vision is blinded by preoccupied mind. How can a person understand the religion, when he does not have the right knowledge of it ? Even highly learned people get stagnant under the intense delusion created by too much attachment with others.

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं: