रविवार, जुलाई 05, 2009

PRINCE ANDHARAJ

A prince, Andharaj, was blind since his birth but he was very generous hearted. He would gave away in charity even his ornaments. The minister of the state was annoyed at such conduct of the prince as it proved very difficult to provide him the new ornaments everyday.
One day, the minister complained to the king: “Your Majesty, wealth is consumed in three ways: giving in charity, enjoyment and destruction. Giving charity is no doubt the best way of consuming the wealth as both the donor and the recipient are benefited. However, it has its own limitations. Excess in anything should be avoided. If the prince continues this flow of charity our royal treasures will be gone in no time.”
The king replied: “Minister, you are right but I do not intend to offend the prince so you may find out some other way to maintain the treasures without offending the prince.”
Keeping this in mind, the minister found a way. He called the prince in seclusion and said: “Dear Prince, I know your fondness for ornaments and so I have taken out for you some old ornaments worn by your forefathers. I would like to give them to you if you would not offer them to the beggars. When you wear these ornaments you will bristle with the glory of the king of kings or a divine prince. But beware, the world is full of selfish people. No sooner they see these ornaments, they will plot in various ways to deprive you of these ornaments. Someone might say: “These ornaments are quite cheap and low. They are made of iron, you should not wear them, but you should disregard their words.”
The prince said: “I agree to your conditions. I shall not part with them in favor of anyone and I shall punish anyone who would speak about them as made of iron. Give them to me for my use.”
Having thus prepared the mind of the blind prince, the minister gave him iron ornaments to wear. The prince was overjoyed and he sat in front of the main entrance of the royal palace. As usual, some of the beggars approached him. With surprise they said, “Prince, how is it that you are wearing iron ornaments today. It does not befit you to wear such ornaments.”
Hearing these remarks the prince picked up his stick and bit the beggars. He said: “You scoundrels, you want to rob me of my ornaments. I am fully aware of that. Get away from here.” The beggars ran off.
Later on, some royal attendants came over and expressed great wonder to find the prince decked with iron ornaments. Out of regard for the prince they said: “Your Honor, these ornaments of iron grant you no glory. We have ample ornaments of gold, then how is it that you chose today to wear iron ones ?” The prince said: “Mind well, I shall take you to task if you condemn my ornaments. I never wore such ornaments prepared by my ancestors.” No sooner did one of the attendants begin to retort than the prince beat him with the stick too. The attendants departed.
Some of the relatives of the prince who approached him to pass their remarks about the ornaments also met with the same fate. The prince paid heed to nobody’s advice.

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं: